Community Advocates Ribfest
Community Advocates' Ribfest is a major event hosted by Community Advocates for Persons with Developmental Disabilities and managed by The Event Company. As the event management team, The Event Company develops the event components, coordinates the vendors and logistics, selects the entertainment, recruits and manages the volunteers, and creates the environment to celebrate great food and entertainment while supporting a charity that financially supports programs that advocate for persons with developmental disabilities. The event occurs the first full Thursday, Friday and Saturday in August. The 2013 dates are August 1-3. The Event is held at the Arcadia Creek Festival Place in Downtown Kalamazoo.
A huge thank you to all the volunteers, sponsors, staff, and community. Although the festival lost thousands and thousands of dollars last year (due to the weather), it is still a great event that promises to do better in 2013.
For more information go to www.ribfestkalamazoo.com.
Each year, the event hosts national entertainment. Some of the bands that have taken to the stage for Ribfest include:
- Chuck Negron in 1997
- Ben Orr from the Cars in 1998
- The Guess Who in 1999
- Eric Burdon and the New Animals in 2000
- Bad Company with former lead singer Brian Howe in 2001
- Foghat in 2002
- Mark Farner from Grand Funk Railroad in 2003
- Loverboy in 2004
- Micky Dolenz of the Monkees in 2005
- Lou Gramm, lead singer of Foreigner and Otis Day and the Knights in 2006
- Blue Oyster Cult in 2007
- Survivor and The Buckinghams in 2008
- The Spinners and Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels - 2009
- Eddie Money in 2010
- Great White in 2011
- Travis Tritt and Skid Row in 2012